Why in News?
- On May 27, 2022, Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami informed that a five-member expert committee has been constituted for implementation of the Uniform Civil Code in the state.
- Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami said that the Expert Committee has been constituted under the Chairmanship of Ranjana Prakash Desai a retired judge from Supreme Court.
- The committee also includes retired Delhi High Court judge Pramod Kohli, former state chief secretary Shatrughan Singh, social activist Manu Gaur and Doon University Vice-Chancellor Surekha Dangwal as members.
- The notification of the state government on the constitution of the committee said that the committee is being constituted to examine all relevant laws governing the individual civil matters of all citizens residing in the state of Uttarakhand and to report on it with an amendment in the draft law or the existing law.
- In addition, an Expert Committee is being constituted with the approval of the Governor for examination and implementation of the Uniform Civil Code and the applicable laws relating to marriage, divorce, right to property, inheritance, adoption and maintenance and protection etc.
Switch to Hindi