Why In News?
President Draupadi Murmu awarded Uttar Pradesh for coming third in the best state category at the Smart City Awards distribution ceremony in Indore on September 27, 2023.
- The government had announced the India Smart City Awards Contest (ISAC) on August 25. This was a competition in various categories among hundreds of smart cities of the country.
- In the ceremony, Principal Secretary Urban Development Department Amrit Abhijat and Smart City Mission Director Dharmendra Pratap Singh received the award on behalf of the state government.
- Under the Smart City Mission, 10 cities of Uttar Pradesh include Agra, Aligarh, Bareilly, Jhansi, Kanpur, Lucknow, Moradabad, Prayagraj, Saharanpur and Varanasi.
- Uttar Pradesh has been selected among the top three states of the country in terms of best smart city. Apart from this, Agra has been chosen as the third best smart city of the country.
- Uttar Pradesh has won 10 awards in various categories at the India Smart City Conclave 2023.
- Varanasi has been awarded the number one position as the smartest city in the North Zone. Other cities of the state have also been awarded in different categories.
- Varanasi Smart City ranked first among cities with a population of more than 10 lakh.
- Kanpur gets third place for modernization work of Municipal Sports Stadium.
- Lucknow got third place for employment training center work in the economy category. Lucknow Smart City is working on various areas like cleanliness, solid waste management, efficient urban mobility, smart governance etc.
- Smart City Mission was launched on June 25, 2015. Its objective is to provide basic infrastructure, clean and decent quality of life to the citizens.
Switch to Hindi