Why in News?
- On May 24, 2022, Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel launched the distribution of weather based insurance claim amount of Prime Minister's Crop Insurance and Horticulture Crops from Dantewada, a remote region of the state.
- Under the insurance scheme of Rabi and Horticulture Crops, about 1.5 crore farmers in 17 districts of the state will get a claim amount of Rs.307.19 crore.
- It may be mentioned that the Chief Minister launched the programme online from Dantewada instead of launching the programme from capital Raipur to ensure that there is no delay in payment of crop insurance claim amount to farmers. Earlier, he had distributed the amount of Godhan Nyaya Yojana from Ramanujganj during the meet-up drive in Sarguja division.
- The Chief Minister said that under Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima, about 1 lakh 45 thousand farmers of 17 districts of the state are being paid Rs 297.9 crore and under the weather based insurance scheme of horticulture crops, 4,747 farmers are being paid Rs 10.10 crore. In Kharif 2021, a claim amount of Rs.7.52 crore has been paid to 3 lakh 97 thousand farmers of the state.
- Agriculture Minister Ravindra Choubey said that the highest number of schemes are being run in the interest of farmers in Chhattisgarh across the country. Chhattisgarh ranks first in the country in implementing the Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana and benefiting the farmers of the state. Chhattisgarh is also the leading state in the country in terms of payment of insurance claims of rabi crops to the farmers.
- It is worth mentioning that the Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana is in force since Kharif 2016. Under this, farmers have to pay only 2 per cent premium amount for kharif crops paddy, maize, groundnut, soyabean, arhar, moong and urad and 1.5 per cent for rabi crops wheat, chana, mustard and linseed. Half of the remaining insurance premium amount is the state share and central share.
Switch to Hindi