Why in News?
On 24 March 2023, Chief Minister of Uttarakhand Pushkar Singh Dhami honoured the sports talents of the state with Devbhoomi Uttarakhand Khel Ratna, Devbhoomi Uttarakhand Dronacharya Award and and awarded LifeTime Achievement Award for the years 2019-20, 2020-21 and 2021-22 at the Sports Awards ceremony held in Dehradun.
- Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami honoured six sports personalities including Indian badminton player Lakshya Sen with Devbhoomi Uttarakhand Khel Ratna, Devbhoomi Uttarakhand Dronacharya Award and LifeTime Achievement Award.
- Apart from this, 168 medal winning players and 42 coaches at the national level for the years 2021 and 2022 were honoured with cash prizes of more than two crores.
- On this occasion, the Chief Minister said that every possible effort is being made to promote sports in the state. For this, the government has decided to reintroduce the sports quota in government jobs.
- State Sports Minister Rekha Arya said that the state government is committed to give out-of-turn appointments and four percent reservation to medal-winning sportspersons. Due to the order of out-of-turn appointment, medal winning players in Olympics will be able to become DSP and Assistant Director directly.
- Prize money has been increased from 30 to 100 per cent for winning medals in international sports.
- A new sports policy has been formulated in the state, in which traditional sports have also been included.
- Awards received by -
- Devbhoomi Uttarakhand Khel Ratna Award - Badminton player Lakshya Sen for the year 2019-20, Athlete Chandan Singh for the year 2020-21.
- Devbhoomi Uttarakhand Dronacharya Award - Badminton coach Dhirendra Kumar Sen for the year 2019-20, Taekwondo coach Kamlesh Kumar Tiwari for the year 2020-21, Archery coach Sandeep Kumar Duklan for the year 2021-22.
- Lifetime Achievement Award- Lifetime Achievement Award for the year 2021-22 was given to Suresh Chandra Pandey for his remarkable contribution in athletics.
Switch to Hindi