Why in News
On October 19, 2021, the longest running (75 days) of the world famous historical Bastar Dussehra came to an end with the heartfelt farewell of Mata Mavli. According to tradition, more than 450 deities from 84 parganas and border states of Bastar division were given a respectful farewell after the family jatra.
- This year Bastar Dussehra started with Pat Jatra Vidhan on August 8, 2021.
- Doli of Maa Mavli and Chhatra of Maa Danteshwari were worshiped with full rituals. At the same time, King Kamalchand Bhanjdev of Bastar carried the mother's doli on his shoulder as per the tradition and got the city circumambulated.
- From Danteshwari temple to Pragati Path, the huge crowd gave a heartfelt farewell to Mata Mavli. During the farewell ceremony, the police personnel also fired joyfully.
- Bastar Dussehra is different from Dussehra in the rest of India, because in the rest of India Dussehra is dedicated to the killing of Ravana, while Bastar Dussehra is dedicated to Danteshwari Mata. This festival lasts from Shravan Amavasya to Ashwin Shukla Trayodashi.
- This princely tradition of Bastar is more than 620 years old. It was started by Kakatiya dynasty ruler Purushottamdev (1408 to 1439 AD).
Switch to Hindi