Why in News
- Recently, the State Forest Department has taken an initiative to conserve species of snakes including python in Dalma Wildlife Sanctuary.
- It is noteworthy that there are three species of Python found in India-
- Indian Rock Python
- Burmese Python
- Reticulated python
- The Indian Python is protected under Schedule I of the Wildlife Protection Act, 1972. In such a situation, along with identifying the habitats of python by the State Forest Department for the conservation of python, rural people are being made aware about the measures to avoid human-wildlife conflict.
- Dalma Wildlife Sanctuary located in Jamshedpur is famous for elephants. Barking deer, sloth bear and various reptile species are notable among other fauna found here.
- It is worth noting that in the year 2017, a nationwide initiative named 'Living with Python' was started by Goa-based herpetologist Nirmal Kulkarni to raise awareness about the Indian python species.
Switch to Hindi