Why in News?
- Hockey Association Odisha defeated Karnataka 2-0 in the final match of the 12th Hockey India Senior Women's National Championship played at the Major Dhyan Chand Stadium in Bhopal, the capital of Madhya Pradesh.
- The 12th Hockey India Senior Women's National Championship was held from May 6 to 17, 2022 at the Major Dhyan Chand Stadium in Bhopal, in which players from around 27 states participated.
- For Odisha, Poonam Barla scored in the 34th minute and Aseem Kanchan Barla scored in the 59th minute.
- For the third place, Jharkhand defeated Haryana by 3-2. Deepti Toppo, Albela Rani Toppo and Beton Dungdung scored for Jharkhand. Amandeep Kaur and Bharti Saroha scored goals for Haryana.
Why in News?
- On May 17, 2022, Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan virtually addressed the International Tomato Conclave-2022 organized by the Department of Horticulture and Food Processing at Hotel Amer Greens in collaboration with Netherlands Embassy.
- Speaking at the conclave, the Chief Minister said that along with the schemes run by the Central Government for expansion of horticulture crops, schemes are being implemented for promotion of protected cultivation of fruits, plantation, commercial horticulture crops, promotion of mechanization for development of horticulture, spice sector expansion, development of food processing industries, development of cold storage infrastructure for horticulture and food processing and horticulture crops.
- The Chief Minister said that there are 11 diverse agro-climatic zones in the state. Madhya Pradesh is at the forefront of production of various crops at the national level. The state stood at the first place in the country in terms of orange and coriander seed production. Also, Madhya Pradesh is among the leading states of the country in the production of guava, tomato, onion, cauliflower, green chilli, peas, garlic, lemon etc.
- He said that the International Tomato Conclave-2022 will be instrumental in enhancing tomato crop and its export, storage, processing in the state. The State Government will ensure 100 per cent implementation of the strategy developed by the experts.
- It is worth mentioning that in the 'One District-One Product' scheme of the state, 11 districts have been selected especially for the production of tomatoes. There is immense potential for cultivation and processing and trading of fruits, vegetables, spices, medicinal and aromatic crops along with tomatoes.
Switch to Hindi