Star marking (1-5) indicates the importance of topic
Why in News
- Recently, for the first time in Madhya Pradesh, the Home Department has allowed a woman to undergo a gender change.
- This female constable had sought permission to change gender to become a man. Those who have been given permission by the Director General of Police to get the gender changed.
- National level psychiatrists have confirmed that the female constable has had gender identity disorder since childhood.
- Women constables have done police work like men in their district. Also duly applied and submitted an affidavit.
- The notification of intention to change gender was published in the Gazette of India in 2019. Only after this the application was sent to the Police Headquarters. The Police Headquarters had sought permission from the Home Department on this application.
- The Law Department, in its advisory to the Home Department, had said that Indian citizens have the freedom to choose their gender regardless of their religion or caste. After this Anita has no problem in allowing gender change.
- Five years ago, 29-year-old lady constable Lalita Salve from Beed had sought permission to change the gender. It was the first case in the country. After removing all the legal hurdles, she became Lalit Salve from Lalita Salve.
- Gender Identity Disorder/Gender Dysphoria is a condition in which a person feels that their natural gender does not match their gender identity.
Switch to Hindi