Why in News
- Recently, Uttar Pradesh Principal Energy Secretary and UPPCL Chairman M Devraj informed that a statewide campaign will be launched by the Government of India to install the entire smart prepaid meters through funds earmarked for metering and other related works under the Rewamped Distribution Area Scheme (RDSS).
- The purpose of installing this smart prepaid meter by UPPCL is to reduce the gross technical and commercial losses.
- Under this, UPPCL will install 73,27,988 smart prepaid meters in Varanasi discoms, 75,28,737 in Lucknow discoms, 53,54,069 in Agra discoms, 61,43,361 in Meerut discoms and 62,500 meters in KESCO distribution network.
- An umbrella scheme Revamped Distribution Area Scheme (RDSS) has been launched by combining all the existing power sector reform schemes like 'Integrated Power Development Scheme', 'Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti Yojana' and 'Pradhan Mantri Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojana'.
- Rural Electrification Corporation and Power Finance Corporation are the nodal agencies for the scheme.
- The scheme includes creation of a mandatory smart metering ecosystem in the distribution sector from power feeders to consumer level and financing feeder separation for unconnected feeders.
- Its main objectives are as under:
- Reduce AT&C losses (operational losses due to inefficient power system) by 12-15% at all India level by 2024-25.
- Developing institutional capabilities for modern discoms.
Switch to Hindi