Inauguration of Seed Processing and Storage Facility at Indian Grassland and Fodder Research Institute
Why In News?
- On March 11, 2023, the Union Minister of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, Narendra Singh Tomar inaugurated the seed processing and storage facility of the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) at the Indian Grassland and Grassland Research Institute, Jhansi. Women farmers conference was also organized on this occasion.
- Three units of such seed processing have been set up at regional research centres at Dharwad and Srinagar, which have been funded by the Ministry of Agriculture with financial assistance of Rs 3.7 crore.
- During the Mahila Krishak Sammelan, agricultural implements worth Rs 50 lakh were distributed to the beneficiary women farmers under the Scheduled Caste sub-project run by the institute/centres.
- The Government of India established the Indian Pasture and Fodder Research Institute in 1962 in Jhansi, the historical city of Veerangana Maharani Lakshmibai, for the development of advanced species of pasture and fodder and their management and maintenance.
- Almost all the major grasses are found in Jhansi, with this view the institute was established here, later in the year 1966 its administrative control was handed over to the Indian Council of Agricultural Research, New Delhi.
- Keeping in view the regional requirements of climate and agriculture, three regional research centres of this institute have been established in other parts of India, which are located at Ambika Nagar (Rajasthan), Dharwad (Karnataka) and Palampur (Himachal Pradesh).
Why In News?
- On March 10, 2023, the Uttar Pradesh government gave permission to open four new private universities in the state. In the cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath, it has been decided to issue letters of intent to four new private universities.
The Higher Education Department will soon issue them letters of intent and then their construction will start.
- These universities include Varun Arjun University Shahjahanpur, T.S Mishra University Lucknow, Farukh Hussain University Agra and Vivek National University Bijnor.
- In a statement issued in this regard, it has been said that the purpose of issuing letters of intent to new private universities is to improve the standard of education and provide quality education.
- These universities will have to complete all formalities within two years after the letter of intent is issued. If the formalities are not completed, the letter of intent will be cancelled
Switch to Hindi