Why in News?
- On August 9, 2022, Dr. Ashok Kumar, senior botanist of Forest Research Institute told that botanists have developed six new species of neem. With this, the economic condition of the farmers will be strengthened along with producing more and more neem in all the states including Uttarakhand.
- Dr. Ashok Kumar said that in view of the huge demand for neem and neem oil in many countries of the world including India, six new species of neem have been developed. The new species are much better than the usual ones. The new species developed will lead to higher production of nibouli and oil.
- The new species will produce 18 percent more oil than the normal neem plant. As a result, the demand for oil will be met to a large extent.
- According to the scientists of the institute, the new species will start bearing fruit three years earlier than the normal neem. Common neem plants produce fuits in six years. The amount of oil that will be produced from one kilogram of fruits coming out of the common neem plant, the same amount of oil can be made from only 300 grams of seeds from the new species of neem.
- The amount of Aazadarectin content was found to be much higher than normal in all species. In common neem seeds, where the amount of azadarectin is 1000 ppm, it has been found to be ten thousand ppm in the new species.
- According to the botanists of the institute, at present, only 35 lakh tonnes of nibouli and seven lakh tonnes of oil are being produced in the country, which is very less in line with the demand.
- Neem oil is being used extensively in the production of urea in the country, along with making antiseptic, antifungal, anti-viral and antibacterial medicines, as well as in making cosmetic items.
- Apart from India, the species of Neem is found in countries like Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal, Myanmar, Indonesia, Sri Lanka and Thailand and has now reached the continent of Africa, Australia, America.
- In view of the huge demand for neem seeds and oil all over the world including India, neem is being cultivated in several crore hectares in countries like China. Large-scale research is also being done about neem in countries like America, European countries as well as China.
- Neem is one such tree, which is also mentioned in the Vedas. Neem tree is mentioned in the Vedas as a cure for all diseases. It is considered a divine tree in the Vedas.
Why in News?
- On August 9, 2022, Uttarakhand Animal Husbandry and Milk Development Minister Saurabh Bahuguna informed that for the first time, veterinary ambulances would be started for the treatment of animals on the lines of 108 ambulances running for human in the state.
- Minister Saurabh Bahuguna informed that the state government is going to provide treatment of sick animals at home to the cattle owners for the first time in order to create new employment opportunities in the animal husbandry business and to solve the problems of the cattle rearers.
- For this, the government has started the process to buy 60 veterinary ambulances in the first phase. By calling on the toll free number, the farmers will get ambulance service to get the sick animal treated at home.
- Agriculture and animal husbandry are the main means of livelihood of the people in the state. 8.5 lakh farmer families are involved in animal husbandry, whose livelihood comes from rearing large animals (cow and buffalo). There are about 27 lakh big animals in the state. Apart from this two lakh families are doing business of small cattle (sheep, goat, pig, horse, mule).
- Till now there is no facility of door-to-door treatment of sick animals in the state. The farmers have to take the sick animal to the veterinary hospital or animal service center for treatment, due to which the farmers have to face a lot of problems. Due to not getting timely treatment of sick animals in inaccessible areas, livestock owners have to suffer financial loss.
- It is worth noting that at present 323 veterinary hospitals are operating for the treatment of animals. Apart from this, there are 770 Animal Service Centres, 682 Artificial Insemination Centres, four Animal Breeding Farms.
Switch to Hindi