Botanists Developed Six Species of Neem
- 10 Aug 2022
- 3 min read
Why in News?
- On August 9, 2022, Dr. Ashok Kumar, senior botanist of Forest Research Institute told that botanists have developed six new species of neem. With this, the economic condition of the farmers will be strengthened along with producing more and more neem in all the states including Uttarakhand.
- Dr. Ashok Kumar said that in view of the huge demand for neem and neem oil in many countries of the world including India, six new species of neem have been developed. The new species are much better than the usual ones. The new species developed will lead to higher production of nibouli and oil.
- The new species will produce 18 percent more oil than the normal neem plant. As a result, the demand for oil will be met to a large extent.
- According to the scientists of the institute, the new species will start bearing fruit three years earlier than the normal neem. Common neem plants produce fuits in six years. The amount of oil that will be produced from one kilogram of fruits coming out of the common neem plant, the same amount of oil can be made from only 300 grams of seeds from the new species of neem.
- The amount of Aazadarectin content was found to be much higher than normal in all species. In common neem seeds, where the amount of azadarectin is 1000 ppm, it has been found to be ten thousand ppm in the new species.
- According to the botanists of the institute, at present, only 35 lakh tonnes of nibouli and seven lakh tonnes of oil are being produced in the country, which is very less in line with the demand.
- Neem oil is being used extensively in the production of urea in the country, along with making antiseptic, antifungal, anti-viral and antibacterial medicines, as well as in making cosmetic items.
- Apart from India, the species of Neem is found in countries like Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal, Myanmar, Indonesia, Sri Lanka and Thailand and has now reached the continent of Africa, Australia, America.
- In view of the huge demand for neem seeds and oil all over the world including India, neem is being cultivated in several crore hectares in countries like China. Large-scale research is also being done about neem in countries like America, European countries as well as China.
- Neem is one such tree, which is also mentioned in the Vedas. Neem tree is mentioned in the Vedas as a cure for all diseases. It is considered a divine tree in the Vedas.