Why In News?
- On 7 February 2023, Uttarakhand Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami inaugurated the state's largest 28 MLD sewage treatment plant and legacy wastewater treatment plant at Haldwani-Kathgodam Municipal Corporation.
- The cost of these two plants is Rs 35.58 crore and Rs 3 crore respectively.
- Both these plants have been constructed at Gaulapar in Haldwani to improve the sanitary conditions in Haldwani and surrounding towns.
- These plants are being constructed under the Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation (AMRUT).
- The operation of the STP at Haldwani will save the Gaula River from pollution and farmers will be able to use the waste received from the plant as organic manure.
- The state government has installed sewage plants in 132 drains polluting the river Ganga and its tributaries. At present, construction of 11 sewerage plants is in progress.
- The Chief Minister also made several other announcements on the occasion. He announced to provide funds for the construction of an international zoo at Haldwani for wildlife and tourism as per requirement. He also announced plans to open a drug de-addiction centre in Haldwani to make Uttarakhand drug-free.
Switch to Hindi