Why in News?
On February 3, 2023, Uttarakhand Health Secretary Dr. R. Rajesh Kumar informed that a Cancer Control Board will be formed in Uttarakhand for the prevention and treatment of the deadly disease cancer. For this, an exercise is going on at the government level.
- Health Secretary Dr. R. Rajesh Kumar said that screening of persons aged 30 years and above is being done through Community Health Officer (CHO), ANM, ASHA workers in health and wellness centers in all the districts of the state, so that cancer patients can be treated on time.
- Significantly, in the financial year 2022-23, 5.49 lakh people have been screened for oral cancer, 2.79 lakh breast cancer and 34 thousand people for cervical cancer.
- The Health Secretary said that after the formation of the Cancer Control Board, work would be done on data management of patients suffering from cancer and an effective strategy for early detection and treatment of the disease.
- He said that the National Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes, Stroke Control and Prevention Program (NPCDCS), operated under the National Health Mission, is working for the prevention of non-communicable diseases like cancer and others.
- It is known that at present, Cancer Day Care Centers are operating in Almora, Pithoragarh, Champawat, Tehri, Uttarkashi, Pauri and Chamoli to provide chemotherapy facilities to cancer patients in the state.
- Apart from this, Bageshwar, Haridwar, Dehradun, Nainital, Rudraprayag, Udham Singh Nagar Cancer Day Care Centers will be set up.
Why in News?
On February 3, 2023, Ajay Nandan, Railway Manager of Dehradun Division of Uttarakhand, said that in the General Budget 2023, the Central Government has given a gift of Rs 5004 crore for rail projects in Uttarakhand.
- Divisional Railway Manager Ajay Nandan said that while this will accelerate the Rishikesh-Karnprayag rail project of strategic importance, Haridwar, Dehradun railway station will be made world class. Passengers will also get modern facilities at nine other stations.
- Railway Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw said that this amount of Rs 5004 crore is 27 times more than the year 2009-14. In 2009-14, it was just Rs 187 crore. With this budget, there is a plan to develop Dehradun and Haridwar as world class stations.
- Divisional Railway Manager Ajay Nandan said that after the increase in the budget of Uttarakhand, it will help in faster implementation of other projects including Rishikesh-Karnprayag rail line.
- He said that a 45 to 117 meter wide Roof top plaza will be built just above Haridwar and Dehradun stations. It will have the facility to rest with food. Along with passengers, common people will also be able to use it.
- Automatic stairs will also be installed along with lifts at Kashipur, Lalkuan, Ramnagar, Tanakpur, Kichha, Kathgodam, Harrawala, Roorkee and Kotdwar railway stations of the state. The building will be rejuvenated, platform expansion, modern toilets, passenger rest houses, water ATM booths etc. will be constructed.
- Ajay Nandan said that 'One Station-One Product' scheme has been implemented at 750 railway stations in the country. This includes Haridwar and Dehradun stations. Here NGOs and institutions set up stalls of local produce.
- He said under the 'Amrut Bharat Yojana', trains from Kotdwar railway station will be operated through computers instead of the old signalling system. For this, construction works are being done by the railways.
- The Divisional Railway Manager said that now the construction work of the much awaited Roorkee-Deoband rail project will also get momentum. Along with the construction of two new platforms at Roorkee railway station, new foot over bridge, automatic staircase will be constructed.
- It is known that Roorkee is included in the historical stations. It is the first station in the country where the first freight train was operated in the year 1852.
- Ajay Nandan said that Harrawala railway station will be developed as terminal railway station at a cost of Rs 105 crore. From here, the platform will be expanded to operate 24-coach trains and new platforms will be built. Many trains running from Dehradun will also be operated from Harrawala. Rs 150 crore will also be spent on the rejuvenation of stations like Doiwala, Raiwala and Kansaro falling between Harrawala and Haridwar.
Switch to Hindi