Cancer Control Board to be set up in Uttarakhand
- 04 Feb 2023
- 2 min read
Why in News?
On February 3, 2023, Uttarakhand Health Secretary Dr. R. Rajesh Kumar informed that a Cancer Control Board will be formed in Uttarakhand for the prevention and treatment of the deadly disease cancer. For this, an exercise is going on at the government level.
- Health Secretary Dr. R. Rajesh Kumar said that screening of persons aged 30 years and above is being done through Community Health Officer (CHO), ANM, ASHA workers in health and wellness centers in all the districts of the state, so that cancer patients can be treated on time.
- Significantly, in the financial year 2022-23, 5.49 lakh people have been screened for oral cancer, 2.79 lakh breast cancer and 34 thousand people for cervical cancer.
- The Health Secretary said that after the formation of the Cancer Control Board, work would be done on data management of patients suffering from cancer and an effective strategy for early detection and treatment of the disease.
- He said that the National Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes, Stroke Control and Prevention Program (NPCDCS), operated under the National Health Mission, is working for the prevention of non-communicable diseases like cancer and others.
- It is known that at present, Cancer Day Care Centers are operating in Almora, Pithoragarh, Champawat, Tehri, Uttarkashi, Pauri and Chamoli to provide chemotherapy facilities to cancer patients in the state.
- Apart from this, Bageshwar, Haridwar, Dehradun, Nainital, Rudraprayag, Udham Singh Nagar Cancer Day Care Centers will be set up.