Why in News?
According to information received from the media on December 6, 2023, Bihar Governor and Chancellor Rajendra Vishwanath Arlekar has nominated transgender Reshma Prasad as a member of the Senate of Patna University.
- Reshma Prasad is the first transgender to become a senate member in any university in the country.
- She has been nominated for three years.
- If Reshma Prasad becomes a member of the Senate, the problems of transgenders in the field of higher education will come to the fore.
- Reshma Prasad, a resident of the capital Patna, has been working for years for the educational, social and economic upliftment of transgenders through her social organisation Dostana Safar.
- Due to his efforts, the Central Government has established Garima Grih for transgenders in Khagaul, Patna, where shelterless transgenders live.
Switch to Hindi