Why In News?
- On October 6, 2022, Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel launched the Chhattisgarhia Olympic Games at Sardar Balbir Singh Juneja Indoor Stadium to give global recognition to the traditional sports of Chhattisgarh.
- On this occasion, the Chief Minister also released a brochure giving information about Chhattisgarhia Olympic Games.
- It is worth mentioning that Chhattisgarhia Olympics has been started on the initiative of the Chief Minister to keep people connected with the culture of Chhattisgarh and to promote local sports. This will give the local people a platform for sports on one hand, while increasing awareness about sports and also developing sportsmanship.
- The Olympics, which will run from October 6 to January 6, 2023, will feature people in the age group of less than 18 years, 18 to 40 years and above 40 years in the contingent and singles category.
- 14 types of traditional sports have been included in this Olympics in team and single category. In this, games like Gilli-Danda, Pitthul, Sankhali, Langdi race, Kabaddi, Kho-Kho, tug of war and Banti (Kancha) have been included in the party category. At the same time, the sports discipline of the single category includes Billas, Fugdi, Gedi run, Bhanwara, 100 meters race and long jump.
- Apart from this, volleyball, hockey and tennis ball and cricket have also been included in it.
- On this occasion, the Chief Minister said that the culture and civilization and unique identity of Chhattisgarh is due to the rural traditions and customs here. Traditional sports have special significance in this. In the last few years, people were forgetting these games of Chhattisgarh. Chhattisgarhia Olympic Games have been started to keep the games permanent, to make them aware of the coming generation.
- These games of Chhattisgarh are entertaining as well as beneficial for health. In rural areas, children, elderly and young people are all involved in physical activities like exercise etc. from these games.
- It is noteworthy that in the meeting of the Council of Ministers held under the chairmanship of Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel on September 6, 2022, the Cabinet had decided to organize Chhattisgarhia Olympic Games from this year, taking a new initiative towards promoting local and traditional sports in Chhattisgarh.
Switch to Hindi