Why In News?
- On August 3, 2022, Additional Chief Secretary (MSME and Export Promotion) Navneet Sehgal informed that Uttar Pradesh will join Indian diplomatic missions in the United States and European countries to boost exports from the state.
- Additional Chief Secretary (MSME and Export Promotion) Navneet Sehgal said that the UPO has set a target to increase exports from the state to Rs. 3 lakh crore in the next five years.
- Indian Embassies in USA, UK, Germany, Australia, Israel, Singapore etc. will promote Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) products in addition to traditional handicrafts and indigenous products under the state's flagship One District One Product (ODOP) scheme.
- The Indian diplomatic missions will provide much-needed traction and visibility to the traditional products of the state in major export destinations around the world.
- Considering the pandemic situation, the goods exports of Uttar Pradesh grew by 30 percent from Rs. 1.07 lakh crore in 2020-21 to over Rs 1.40 lakh crore in 2021-22, of which the ODOP basket contributed 72 percent.
- Additional Chief Secretary Sehgal said the MSME department has already tied up with leading e-commerce platforms Flipkart and Amazon for marketing the state's merchandise basket and will enter into a similar agreement with e-Bay.
- Uttar Pradesh will also use the Open Network Digital Commerce (ONDC) channel to boost trade exports. Promoted by the Centre, ONDC has been made mandatory to promote exchange of goods and services on digital networks. It is based on an open-source and open network protocol, independent of a specific platform, thus providing a wide-ranging sales-buying experience for institutional entities.
- The best-selling UP products include leather goods, carpets, hand-woven garments, brass utensils, glassware, sports goods, etc.
- The ODOP scheme, which was launched during the first foundation day celebrations of Uttar Pradesh in January 2018, is based on promoting traditional products of the state and creating jobs at the local level.
- The state is promoting the concept of 'Flatted Factory' to save space for non-polluting MSME industries. A 'Flatted Factory' is a multi-Storey industrial building that, apart from serving as industrial warehouses, accommodates a number of industrial and assembly units.
Why In News?
- On August 3, 2022, an official spokesperson of the Government of Uttar Pradesh said that Singapore has become the first participant country of Uttar Pradesh in the Uttar Pradesh Global Investor Summit-2023 (GIS-23) to be held in January.
- Singapore's High Commissioner to India Simon Wong expressed happiness over his country's alliance with the Uttar Pradesh government, saying Singapore has become the first partner country for the UP Global Investor Summit-2023 to be held in January.
- An official spokesperson of the state government said Singaporean companies have invested more than US$ 250 million. Most of this investment is in the districts of the National Capital Region (NCR) of the state. At the groundbreaking ceremony held recently, Singaporean companies pledged an investment of Rs 1,100 crore.
- Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath has directed the officials to prepare a detailed publicity plan for the summit so that the likes of UK, USA, Canada, UAE, Sweden, Singapore, Netherlands, Israel, France, Germany, South Korea, Mauritius, Russia and Australia A global buzz could be created through road-shows in countries.
Switch to Hindi