Why In News?
- Signing of contract for 600 MW Omkareshwar Floating Solar Project and Energy Assessment Guide of Urja Saksharta Abhiyan released on August 4, 2022, at Kushabhau Thackeray Hall, Bhopal.
- Contracts were signed and exchanged with NHDC Limited, AMP Energy and SJVN Limited in the presence of Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan.
- Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan said on the occasion that by 2027, the renewable energy potential of Madhya Pradesh would be 20,000 MW. The state government is on the path of making Madhya Pradesh a 'Lungs of India' with a 'Heart of India'.
- The Chief Minister said that at present there are 10 floating solar plants in the world. The Omkareshwar project will be the world's largest floating solar project to be built on water. In its first phase, a capacity of 278 MW will be installed. No land is required for the implementation of this project. As a result, no one will be displaced.
- It is scientifically proven that power generation in a water based project is higher than that of a land based solar project. Due to the installation of solar panels on the surface of the water, the water will not evaporate as steam. With this, 60 to 70 percent of water will be saved.
- Chief Minister Chouhan said that 12 lakh metric tonnes of carbon-dioxide emissions will be prevented from the project. This is equivalent to planting one crore 52 lakh trees.
- He said that the state is working in a mission mode to meet its energy needs with renewable energy by the year 2030. The State Government has started the implementation of the New Renewable Energy Policy-2022.
- The concept of green city development in the state is also being embodied. Work on solar projects is in progress in Chhatarpur, Morena, Agar, Shajapur and Neemuch districts.
- The use of solar panels is being encouraged up to the village level. Solar panels are being installed on the roofs of all government offices. By improving the land of Chambal ravines, the area will be used for solar power generation.
- The Chief Minister said that problems like global warming and climate change can be tackled only through public participation. Energy Assessment Guide of Energy Saksharta Abhiyan has also been released for the same purpose. In the campaign, school, college students and general public will have to be motivated and trained for sensitive and responsible behavior to save electricity.
- Madhya Pradesh Urja Vikas Nigam Chairman Girraj Dandotia said that Omkareshwar project is a safe source of energy amidst the challenge of climate change. This will also save land, which can be used for setting up agriculture and other industries in the state.
Switch to Hindi