Transgender Welfare Board
- 16 Sep 2021
- 2 min read
Why in News
- In the light of a decision given by the Supreme Court, the Uttar Pradesh government has constituted the Transgender Welfare Board.
- The board will give suggestions to the government for policy and institutional reforms while working on the needs, issues and problems of the transgenders.
- Uttar Pradesh Transgender Welfare Board is an organization with total 23 members. Its structure is as follows-
- Chairman: Social Welfare Minister
- Deputy Chairman: A member of the Transgender community nominated by the Chief Minister
- Member Secretary: Director, Social Welfare Department
- Convenor: Additional Chief Secretary/Principal Secretary
- Members: 5 representatives of the transgender community and 2 representatives of non-governmental organizations (NGOs) working for the transgender community.
- Ex-officio Member: Secretaries of various departments and Lucknow Police Commissioner
- The term of the non-official members of the Board will be for 3 years and the Board will be required to meet once in three months.
- Apart from this, Transgender Cooperation Unit will be constituted under the chairmanship of Director, Social Welfare, which will prepare the database of transgenders as well as solving the problems of transgenders and submit the report to the government regarding the time-limit for implementation of policies.
- There will also be a 13-member committee under the chairmanship of DM in the districts, which will meet every month.