- 08 Feb 2023
- 3 min read
Why In News?
- On 7 February 2023, Madhya Pradesh Urban Development and Housing Minister Bhupendra Singh informed that according to the announcement made by Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan, 'after freeing government lands from encroachment, the land available will be occupied by the homeless, economically weaker sections (EWS) Suraj Policy-2023 has been approved by the Cabinet for construction of houses for housing.
- Making proper use of the government land freed from encroachment by the district administration as its own resource, construction of necessary infrastructure works, construction of community facilities and Suraj Colony for economically weaker sections (EWS) This policy has been prepared in order to raise proper financial resources for the construction of the colony and to ensure the development of the said plots of the urban area with a suitable density.
- The objective of this policy is to provide affordable housing to the homeless of EWS category under Suraj Colony as per re-densification policy without government budgetary support and to make best use of the encroachment-free land for the development of the city.
- The main points of this policy are as follows:
- Scheme for construction of houses for the homeless and economically weaker sections on government land freed from encroachment after April 1, 2020.
- A piece of land freed from encroachment will be handed over to a private developer, in exchange for the remaining land being built at Suraj Tower for EWS housing.
- The reserve price of land to be given to private developer will be calculated based on open tenders as per the established policy of the Department of Public Asset Management.
- In small towns, colonies can be developed on residential leases of up to 450 square feet instead of multi-story.
- In the project, all the necessary infrastructure for Suraj Colony such as roads, water supply, electricity, garden, community building and school and dispensary will also be built if needed.
- After construction, the units will be allotted at the district level to the homeless people of the weaker income group based on the eligibility and formula of the Prime Minister's Housing Scheme.
- In special circumstances, slums can also be rehabilitated and rehabilitated if required in government projects such as roads etc.
- All other procedures for the implementation of the scheme will be as per the Redensification Policy 2022 established in the state.
- After the construction of Suraj Tower Colony, for the next 5 years under the Defect Liability Period, the private developer will be responsible for development and maintenance, operation and repair of the colony for 3 years.