Sainik Schools to be opened at all Commissionerates in UP
- 07 Jun 2023
- 2 min read
Why in News?
According to information received from the media on 5 June 2023, the Ministry of Defense has given its consent to the proposal to open Sainik Schools on PPP i.e. Public Private Partnership basis at all the commissionerate of Uttar Pradesh.
- It is known that the state government had sent a request letter to the Ministry of Defense four years ago to open a Sainik School in every division, to which the Ministry of Defense has given its consent.
- On the basis of the letter received by the State Government from the Sainik School Society of the Ministry of Defense, the government has sent a letter to the District Magistrates of all the 16 districts of the state where new Sainik Schools are to be opened.
- In a letter sent to the DMs of the concerned districts on behalf of the Additional Chief Secretary of Basic & Secondary Education Deepak Kumar, it has been said that they can request to convert suitable government or aided or interested private or NGO-run schools in their districts into Sainik Schools.
- All these schools will be opened on PPP (Private Public Partnership) basis in Agra, Aligarh, Prayagraj, Azamgarh, Basti, Bareilly, Moradabad, Banda, Jhansi, Devipatan, Ayodhya, Kanpur Nagar, Meerut, Saharanpur, Mirzapur and Varanasi.
- Significantly, there are 25 Sainik Schools of the Ministry of Defense in the country, while three Sainik Schools are being run by the Ministry of Defense in the state, which are in Amethi, Jhansi, and Mainpuri. Apart from this, a provision of Rs 90 crore has been made by the state government for the construction of a Sainik School in Gorakhpur. The UP Sainik School is being run in Lucknow which is run by the state government.