Chhattisgarh ranked first in the country in sterilization for the last 5 years
- 25 Sep 2021
- 2 min read
Why in News
- On September 24, 2021, Dr. Satyarthi, Deputy Director of the Family Planning Program informed that Chhattisgarh has been on the first position in the country for the last 5 years in sterilization during the male sterilization fortnight. During this, 4905 men have got sterilization done for family planning in the state.
- Dr Satyarthi informed that during the male sterilization fortnight, 966 men of the state underwent sterilization in the year 2017-18, 72 in the year 2018-19, 1695 in the year 2019-20, 168 in the year 2020-21 and 1349 in the year 2021-22.
- He said that during the sterilization fortnight, the department dispels the misconceptions and myths spread among the people regarding male sterilization by running special campaigns from village level to district level. Men are encouraged to undergo sterilization by organizing 'Mor Mitan Mor Sangwari' Choupal at the village level.
- It is worth mentioning that every year, Statewide Male Sterilization Fortnight is celebrated by the Department of Health and Family Welfare to improve reproductive health and increase the participation of men in family planning.
- The fortnight is organized in two phases. The first phase is in the form of Mobilization Week, in which men are made aware of sterilization by increasing the participation of men in population stabilization and conducting NSVT program smoothly in the state and village level on the theme of 'Mor Mitan Mor Sangwari'. In the seminars organized on this, men are motivated for sterilization. The second phase is celebrated as Service Delivery Week.
- The health department gives an incentive of Rs 2,000 to those who undergo sterilization and Rs 250 to the catalysts.