Chhattisgarh Created a Record in Collecting Rice
- 01 Jul 2022
- 3 min read
Why in News?
- Recently, Chhattisgarh has deposited more than 50 lakh metric tonnes of rice in the Food Corporation of India and Civil Supplies Corporation by the end of June, creating a new record in the matter of depositing rice in the central pool.
- As a result of the farmer friendly policies and visionary decisions of the State Government, Chhattisgarh has also set a new record in terms of lifting of paddy from the committees and depositing of rice in the Central Pool after setting the record for highest procurement of paddy in the State in Kharif 2021-22.
- With a record procurement of 97.99 lakh mt of paddy at support price in kharif marketing year 2021-22, for the first time in the state, 100 percent of paddy lifting from procurement centers was completed in the month of April-May itself. Apart from this, about 22.90 lakh metric tonnes of paddy stored in the collection centers has also been lifted 100 percent in the pre-rainy month of June.
- It is noteworthy that out of 97.99 lakh metric tonnes of paddy procured in the Kharif marketing year 2021-22, 75.03 lakh metric tonnes of paddy (about 77 percent) were lifted directly from the procurement centres by the millers, while the paddy procured in the Kharif marketing year 2018-19 was 58 percent, 61 percent of the paddy procured in the year 2019-20 and 62 percent of the paddy procured in the year 2020-21 were lifted directly by the millers from the procurement centres.
- Due to record lifting of paddy by millers directly from procurement centers in Kharif marketing year 2021-22, transportation expenditure, quantity of dryness and cost of protection and maintenance of paddy have also come down as compared to previous years.
- As a result of the system and practical policies for paddy lifting and custom milling by the state government, not only timely lifting of paddy was ensured, but custom milling took place rapidly, due to which the state has achieved remarkable success in harvesting rice.
- So far, about 25.74 lakh metric tonnes in Food Corporation of India and about 24.35 lakh metric tonnes in Civil Supplies Corporation, thus totaling 50.09 lakh metric tonnes of rice has been deposited.
- It is noteworthy that in the year 2020-21 till the end of June, 36.56 lakh metric tonnes of rice was deposited. The quantity of rice deposited this year is about 13.44 lakh metric tonnes more than last year. Rice deposit work is going on continuously in Food Corporation of India and Civil Supplies Corporation.