Uttar Pradesh Commission for SCs and STs
- 02 Jul 2022
- 2 min read
Why in News?
On July 1, 2022, the Government of Uttar Pradesh has given Asim Arun, Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Social Welfare, the charge/responsibility of the Chairman of the Uttar Pradesh Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes Commission with immediate effect. Notification in this regard was issued on June 29, 2022.
- The state government has assigned the post to Arun Yadav till he is appointed as the regular chairman of the Uttar Pradesh Commission for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes.
- Aseem Arun is a 1994 batch IPS officer. He formed the SWAT team for the first time in Aligarh in 2009. Aseem Arun has served in Hathras, Balrampur, Siddharthnagar, Agra, Aligarh and Gorakhpur.
- He was the first Commissioner of Police of Kanpur. Prior to the Uttar Pradesh elections, he had quit his IPS job and joined the BJP.
- The BJP declared him as its candidate from Kannauj Sadar seat. From here, Aseem Arun won by defeating three consecutive Samajwadi Party MLA Anil Dohre.
- Mar 25, 2022 Asim Arun was sworn in as minister of state for independent charge in the Yogi cabinet and on March 28, he was given the responsibility of social welfare, SC and ST affairs.