Changes in the DNA of Red Corn by Electron Beam Irradiation
- 20 Sep 2021
- 1 min read
Why in News
- Recently, positive changes were made in the DNA of red maize seeds with the help of electron beam irradiation at Krishi Vigyan Kendra located at Kasturba village, Indore.
- This experiment has been done by Krishi Vigyan Kendra Indore in collaboration with Raja Ramanna Center for Advanced Technology.
- Red maize has high protein content along with anti-carcinogenic properties, so it has been used to increase its production.
- This genetic variation will not only reduce the height of the red maize, but also increase the length of its cob.
- Electron beam radiation is also being used in other areas, such as cancer treatment, treatment of environmental pollutants such as VOCs (Volatile organic compounds), food preservation, etc.