WorldSkills International Competition 2019
- 01 Aug 2019
- 2 min read
The Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship (MSDE) has announced the 48-member group which will represent India at the WorldSkills International Competition 2019.
- The WorldSkills International is a not for profit membership association open to agencies or bodies which have a responsibility for promoting vocational education and training in their respective countries/regions. The organization is registered in Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- The WorldSkills International Competition is a biennial event and the biggest showcase of skills excellence in the world.
- Also referred to as the ‘Olympics for Skills’, the event is scheduled in Kazan, Russia from 22nd to 27th August 2019.
- More than 1,500 competitors from 60 countries will compete in 55 skill competitions at this mega event. India will participate in 44 skills including mobile robotics, prototype modeling, hairdressing, baking, confectionery & patisserie, welding, bricklaying, car painting, floristry among others.
- National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) under the aegis of MSDE has been leading India’s delegation at the event since 2011.
- During the last edition at Abu Dhabi in 2017, India won one silver, one bronze and nine medallions of excellence. India also finished at 19th out of 56 countries which participated at the event, making it India’s best performance since its participation at this event.
- With the sixth-largest contingent at WorldSkills this year, Team India aspires to improve on its performance from the last competition and win laurels for the country.