World Metrology Day 2022
- 23 May 2022
- 3 min read
Why in News?
CSIR-National Physical Laboratory, New Delhi in association with Metrology Society of India (MSI) organized the World Metrology Day (May 20th).
- Metrology is the science of measurement and its application.
What are the key highlights of the World Metrology Day?
- World Metrology Day is celebrated in commemoration of the anniversary of the signing of the Metre Convention in 1875.
- This treaty provides the basis for a worldwide coherent measurement system.
- World Metrology Day recognizes and celebrates the contribution of all the people that work in intergovernmental and national metrology organizations and institutes throughout the year.
- Theme - “Metrology in the Digital Era”.
- This theme was chosen because digital technology is revolutionizing our community and is one of the most exciting trends in society today.
- The theme was announced jointly by the International Bureau of Weights and Measures (BIPM) and the International Organisation of Legal Metrology (OIML).
What is International Bureau of Weights and Measures (BIPM)?
- The signing of the Metre Convention in 1875 created the BIPM and for the first time formalized international cooperation in metrology.
- The Convention established the BIPM and laid the foundations for worldwide uniformity of measurement.
- The BIPM is the hub of a worldwide network of national metrology institutes (NMIs) which continue to realize and disseminate the chain of traceability to the International System of Unit (SI) into national accredited laboratories and industry.
What is International Organisation of Legal Metrology (OIML)?
- In 1955 the OIML was established as an Intergovernmental Treaty Organization in order to promote the global harmonization of legal metrology procedures with the Bureau International de Métrologie Légale (BIML) as the Secretariat and Headquarters of the OIML.
- The OIML has developed a worldwide technical structure whose primary aim is to harmonize the regulations and metrological controls applied by the national metrological services, or related organizations.
What is CSIR-National Physical Laboratory?
- CSIR-National Physical Laboratory (NPL-India) is mandated to be India’s “National Metrology Institute'' (NMI) by the act of Parliament and is the custodian of “National Standards” with a responsibility of the dissemination of measurements to the needs of the Country.
- It maintains standards of SI units in India and calibrates the national standards of weights and measures.