World Habitat Day
- 07 Oct 2019
- 2 min read
The United Nations has designated the first Monday of October every year as World Habitat Day.
- The theme for World Habitat Day 2019 is “Frontier Technologies as an Innovative Tool to Transform Waste to Wealth”.
- Frontier technologies refers to automation, robotics, electric vehicles, renewable energy technologies, biotechnologies, and artificial intelligence which can transform social, economic and environmental spheres.
- The focus of this year’s theme to promote the contribution of innovative technologies to sustainable waste management to achieve Sustainable Development Goal 11.
- Sustainable Development Goal 11 aims to make cities more inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable.
- The event focuses on the state of human settlements and people’s right to sufficient shelter.
- It also aims to remind people that they are responsible for the habitat of future generations.
- The global observation of the World Habitat Day 2019 will be hosted by the Government of Mexico in Mexico City on 7 October this year.
- World Habitat Day was first celebrated in 1986 with the theme “Shelter is My Right”.
- Nairobi was the host city for the observance that year.