Ukraine's Bid to Join NATO
- 08 Apr 2021
- 3 min read
Why in News
Ukrainian President urged the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) to speed up his country’s membership in the alliance.
- Ukraine hopes to be invited this year to join a NATO Membership Action Plan (MAP).
- Reasons for Ukraine to Join NATO:
- Ukraine is of the opinion that joining NATO is the only way to end fighting with pro-Russia separatists.
- There is an increase in clashes and Russian military movements on the border raise fears of an escalation of the separatist conflict in eastern Ukraine.
- Ukraine accuses Russia of massing thousands of military personnel on its northern and eastern borders as well as on the Crimean peninsula (annexed by Russia in 2014).
- Ukraine’s Western allies have rushed to its defence, with a series of statements warning Russia against taking further action.
- India did not join the Western powers’ condemnation of Russia’s intervention in Crimea and kept a low profile on the issue.
- About North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO):
- It is a military alliance established by the North Atlantic Treaty (also called the Washington Treaty) of 4th April, 1949, by the United States, Canada, and several Western European nations to provide collective security against the Soviet Union.
- It is headquartered at Brussels, Belgium.
- A key provision of the treaty, the so-called Article 5, states that if one member of the alliance is attacked in Europe or North America, it is to be considered an attack on all members. That effectively put Western Europe under the "nuclear umbrella" of the US.
- NATO has only once invoked Article 5, on 12th September, 2001, following the 9/11 attacks on the World Trade Center in the US.
- NATO's protection does not extend to members' civil wars or internal coups.
- As of 30th March 2021, there are 30 member states, with the Republic of North Macedonia becoming the latest member to join the alliance in 2020.
Membership Action Plan
- It is a NATO programme of advice, assistance and practical support tailored to the individual needs of countries wishing to join the Alliance.
- Participation in the MAP does not prejudge any decision by the Alliance on future membership.
- Bosnia and Herzegovina is currently participating in MAP.