- 11 Jul 2020
- 1 min read
Why in News
Recently, a passenger bus service was started for the first time after India’s Independence in Swabhiman Anchal region (formerly known as the cut-off area) in Odisha’s Malkangiri district.
- The bus service was able to start after the construction of the Gurupriya Bridge in 2018, which connected Swabhiman Anchal with the rest of the State.
- Till now, motor launches and boats were used to be the only mode of communication to reach ferry points and from there people were taking country boats to reach villages.
- People were even using horses to travel in the remote parts of Swabhiman Anchal.
- Swabhiman Anchal is situated along the Odisha-Andhra Pradesh border, and had long been a stronghold of left-wing extremists.
- The region is covered by water from three sides and another side by inhospitable terrain.
- Balimela reservoir is also situated in the region.
- Recently, a new police station also started functioning in Jodambo (a gram panchayat in Swabhiman Anchal).