Sangita Kalanidhi Award
- 02 Jan 2020
- 1 min read
Why in News
Recently, S.Sowmya has been conferred with Sangita Kalanidhi Award. The award is conferred by the Madras Music Academy.
- It is considered the highest award in the field of Carnatic music.
- The award comprises of a gold medal and a birudu Patra (citation).
Madras Music Academy
- Music Conference held along with All India Congress Session in Madras (1927) laid the idea of a Madras Music Academy. Thus it is an offshoot of INC madras session, 1927.
- It plays an important role in promoting Carnatic Music.
- Carnatic music is a system of music commonly associated with southern India including the states Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Karnataka, Kerala, and Tamil Nadu, but also practised in Sri Lanka.
- It is one of two main genres of Indian classical music that evolved from ancient Hindu traditions, the other genre being Hindustani music, which emerged as a distinct form because of Persian and Islamic influences in northern India.