- 28 Feb 2019
- 3 min read
Recently, 16th meeting of the Foreign Ministers of Russia, India, and China (RIC Meeting) took place in Zhejiang, China on 27 February 2019.
- RIC meeting is important as Russia, India and China are countries that carry important voices in international politics and have the potential to significantly influence world events.
- RIC committed itself to multilateralism and the principles of Charter of the United Nations.
- Countries called for the comprehensive reform of the UN, including its Security Council, with a view to making it more representative, effective and efficient, and to increase the representation of the developing countries so that it can adequately respond to global challenges.
- During the summit, RIC acknowledged the importance of BRICS, and the Shanghai Cooperation Organization as important, effective mechanisms for promoting multilateralism.
- RIC reiterated the importance of various regional fora and organizations such as the East Asia Summit (EAS), ASEAN Regional Forum (ARF), ASEAN Defence Ministers Meeting Plus (ADMM-Plus), Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM)，the Conference on Interaction and Confidence Building Measures in Asia (CICA) and the Asia Cooperation Dialogue (ACD).
- RIC strongly condemned terrorism in all its forms and manifestations. It called for early adoption of the Comprehensive Convention on International Terrorism (CCIT). It also called for the implementation of the relevant UN Security Council (UNSC) resolutions against terrorism.
- RIC also stressed that those committing, orchestrating, inciting or supporting terrorist acts must be held accountable and brought to justice.
- RIC also called for the adoption of the convention against drug trafficking, peaceful uses of outer space, prohibition of biological, chemical weapons.
- RIC called for peace in Afghanistan through an Afghan-led, Afghan-owned peace and reconciliation process, welcomed the significant and positive changes in Korean Peninsula, supported Iran-Nuclear Deal, supported the two-state solution to achieve settlement of the Palestinian issue.
- The minister also called for diplomatic and Political solution to the crisis in Yemen, Syria, and Venezuela.