Register of Indigenous Inhabitants of Nagaland (RIIN)
- 01 Jul 2019
- 2 min read
Nagaland’s Home Commissioner has issued a notification for setting up of the Register of Indigenous Inhabitants of Nagaland (RIIN).
- The aim is to prepare a master list of all indigenous peoples and check the issuance of fake indigenous inhabitant certificates.
- The exercise to prepare the RIIN will begin on 10th July, 2019 and will be completed within 60 days.
- The RIIN will be prepared after an extensive survey with the help of a village-wise and ward-wise list of indigenous inhabitants based on official records. Also, It will be prepared under the supervision of each district administration.
- No fresh indigenous inhabitant certificate will be issued after the RIIN is completed except for children born to the State’s indigenous inhabitants who will be issued indigenous certificates along with birth certificates. The RIIN database will be updated accordingly.
- The RIIN will also be integrated with the online system for Inner-Line Permit, a temporary document non-inhabitants are required to possess for entry into and travel in Nagaland.
- RIIN has been called as a variant of the National Register of Citizens (NRC) that the state of Assam is updating to identify and weed out illegal immigrants in the state.