- 06 Feb 2021
- 1 min read
Why in News
This years’ Ratha Saptami festival is being celebrated on 19th February 2021.
- Ratha Saptami is an annual Hindu festival that is dedicated to Surya, the sun god.
- It is made of two words- ‘Ratha’ means Chariot and ‘Saptami’ means seventh.
- A one-day Brahmotsavam is held in Tirumala (Andhra Pradesh) on this day.
- Ratha Saptami is also called Surya Jayanti as it marks the birth of Surya and referred as Magha Saptami as it falls on the seventh day (Saptami) of the Hindu month Magha.
- Ratha Saptami also marks the change of season to spring and the start of the harvesting season.