Rajasthan to Get its First Biotechnology Park
- 17 Jan 2020
- 3 min read
Why in News
Rajasthan government will be signing a memorandum of understanding with the Centre’s Department of Biotechnology to set up its first biotechnology park and incubation centre in the state.
- The biotechnology park and incubation centre would be set up in the State with the support of the Biotechnology Industry Research Assistance Council (BIRAC).
- This will enable the State government to take up research in the field of biotechnology and provide employment to the youths.
- It would also help to promote interdisciplinary field research such as bioinformatics, biomedical engineering and nanomedicine.
- Further, it will also help to promote biotechnology on the lines of health, agriculture, industry and food which will intensify the science-based manufacturing in industrialisation.
Biotechnology Parks and Incubators
- The Department of Biotechnology has established Biotechnology Parks/Incubators across the country to translate research into products and services by providing the necessary infrastructure support.
- These Biotechnology Parks offer facilities to Scientists, and Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (SMEs) for technology incubation, technology demonstration and pilot plant studies for accelerated commercial development of Biotechnology.
- The Department so far has supported 9 Biotechnology Parks in various States.
- The Department has also come up with ‘National Biotechnology Parks Scheme’.
- The scheme aims to create an ecosystem to absorb the start-ups which have graduated from incubators and give them a platform for further scaling up their R&D activities in collaboration with the state government and industry.
Biotechnology Industry Research Assistance Council
- Biotechnology Industry Research Assistance Council (BIRAC) is a Public Sector Enterprise, set up by Department of Biotechnology (DBT).
- BIRAC is a industry-academia interface and implements its mandate through a wide range of impact initiatives.
- It aims to strengthen and empower the emerging Biotech enterprise to undertake strategic research and innovation, addressing nationally relevant product development needs.