- 03 Jan 2020
- 1 min read
Why in News
Recently, the Yakshagana committee hosted the 60th annual Yakshagana in the Padmanur village, Karnataka.
- The committee is officially known as the Sarvajanika Yakshagana Bayalata Samithi and was set up in 1959.
- It is a multi-faith committee consisting of Hindus, Christians and Muslims and it hosts Yakshagana every year.
- It is a rare and unique traditional theatre of Karnataka state in India and has a recorded history of more than 5 centuries.
- It is a rich artistic blend of music, dance, speech, and costumes, this art combines the features of opera as well as drama, the characteristics of moral education and mass entertainment.
- Yakshagana is strongly influenced by the Bhakti movement.