- 25 Jul 2018
- 2 min read
The US generic drugs major Mylan has approached the Delhi High Court challenging the notification issued by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
The notification placed restrictions on private companies from producing Oxytocin and allowing only the public sector unit - Karnataka Antibiotics & Pharmaceuticals Ltd (KAPL) to make the drug.
What is Oxytocin?
- Oxytocin is a natural hormone that causes the uterus to contract.
- Oxytocin is used to induce
laboror strengthen laborcontractions during childbirth, and to control bleeding after childbirth.
- The move to ban has been necessitated by its widespread misuse in the dairy and poultry sector, where it was used to increase milk secretion and production.
- It is misused on young girls to induce puberty.
Concerns Related To Ban
- The proposed ban on private production raised an alarm on the possible shortfall of Oxytocin supply if only one company was permitted to make this drug.
- The proposed ban could exacerbate the inflow of illegal versions of the drug makings its way into the Indian market from China and also drive out legitimate companies.