Important Facts For Prelims
Switch To Hindi
- 07 Jun 2019
- 1 min read
- Ottam Thullal is a dance-drama performing art form of Kerala, created by Kunchan Nambiar, as an alternative to the Chakyar koothu.
- Kunchan Nambiar used it as a medium to protest against the prevalent socio-political structure and prejudices of the society in his time. It went on to become the most popular folk art presented in Kerala temples.
- The distinguishing factor of Ottanthullal is the performer himself singing and playing the story, which is a tedious task. Another person will recite the same verses. The accompanying instruments for Ottanthullal are Mridangam and Idakka.
- It is a performance art from Kerala.
- It is primarily a type of highly refined monologue where the performer narrates episodes from Hindu epics and stories from the Puranas.
- It is also a traditional equivalent of the modern stand-up comedy act, incorporating commentary on current socio-political events.