- 30 Jan 2020
- 1 min read
Why in News
Recently, the Indian Navy has launched the 'Operation Vanilla' to assist the population of Madagascar affected by Cyclone Diane.
- Indian Navy also diverted a large amphibious ship viz. INS Airavat carrying clothing, medicines, and other relief material to provide assistance and support in the relief operations.
- It is a tropical cyclone.
- Origin: North-west off the coast of Mauritius in the South-western Indian Ocean.
- Madagascar has been hit by it and there has been heavy flooding and landslips causing loss of lives and displacement, affecting more than 92,000 people. India has been the first country to respond to floods in Madagascar.
- India assistance to Madagascar is in consonance with Prime Minister's vision of 'Security and Growth for all in the Region (SAGAR)'.
- India is working with France to develop strategic and economic partnership involving Madagascar, Reunion Islands-Comoros so as to balance the growing influence of China in that part of the Indian Ocean Region.