Official Visit of Vice-President to Vietnam
- 15 May 2019
- 2 min read
Vice President of India Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu has undertaken an official visit to Vietnam from 9-12 May 2019.
- India and Vietnam agreed to further strengthen cooperation in defence and security, peaceful uses of atomic energy and outer space, oil and gas, renewable energy, agriculture and innovation-based sectors.
- Both countries expressed commitment to enhancing trade and investments and agreed to facilitate direct air connectivity to promote tourism, trade and people-to-people relations.
- Both sides reiterated the importance of building a peaceful and prosperous Indo-Pacific region on the basis of respect for national sovereignty and international law.
- They expressed full commitment to an open, transparent, inclusive and rules-based regional architecture based on freedom of navigation and overflight, unimpeded economic activities and peaceful settlement of disputes in accordance with international law.
- Vietnam appreciated India’s long-standing development partnership engagement, like scholarships and training programmes, concessional Lines of Credit for defence industry cooperation and implementing other socio-cultural infrastructure projects in Vietnam under Indian grants-in-aid.
- Vice President also delivered a keynote address at the 16th UN Day of Vesak at the Tam Chuc Pagoda in Hanam Province in Vietnam. He also paid respects at the Monument of National Heroes and Martyrs and at the Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum at Hanoi.
- Vice-President’s visit has imparted momentum to the bilateral relationship and provided an opportunity to review various areas of collaboration and cooperation of the Comprehensive Strategic Partnership, with Vietnam’s leadership.
NOTE: Vesak, also known as Buddha Jayanti, is traditionally observed by Buddhists as ‘Buddha’s Birthday’.