‘New India’ will be Realised with the Vision of a ‘New North East’
- 11 Jul 2018
- 2 min read
At the concluding session of the 67th Plenary Session of the North East Council (NEC), the Union Home Minister said that the road to ‘New India’ will go through a developed and peaceful ‘New North East’.
Measures to Achieve a ‘New North East’
- Realising the economic potential of the region through better road connectivity and Information Technology.
- Quality broadband services in the region to help the youth of the North East find the employment opportunities closer to their home.
- Setting up the Regional Institute for Skill Development was suggested to the NEC.
- The impetus to employment and income generation
- Creating a conducive environment for private investments to make the investors feel safe and that their problems are addressed - to give a big boost to investments
- Focus on growing low volume-high value crops for export to accelerate the growth of agriculture.
- Railway Ministry can help in exporting the perishable commodities and horticulture produce like kiwis and flowers through superfast AC wagons.
Revivalof North Eastern Regional Agricultural Marketing Corporation Limited (NERAMAC) for marketing of agriculture produce.
- The North Eastern Region Community Resource Management Project (NERCORMP) with the Self Help Groups can extend help for increasing the income and employment generation in the region to help contain the problems like the insurgency in the North Eastern Region.
North Eastern Region Community Resource Management Project (NERCORMP)
- NERCORMP is a joint developmental initiative of the North Eastern Council, Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region and International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD).
- Its objective is to improve the livelihoods of vulnerable groups of the North East Region in a sustainable manner through improved management of their resource base.