- 01 Jan 2021
- 2 min read
Why in News
The Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA) has been supporting private entities in creating necessary infrastructure to promote Moringa products exports from India.
- Globally, the demand for Moringa products, such as Moringa Leaf Powder and Moringa Oil, Moringa as a nutritional supplement and in food fortification has been witnessing healthy growth.
- Its usage has been well received among the global consumers for its nutritional, medicinal, culinary uses.
- Botanical name: Moringa oleifera
- It is a fast-growing, drought-resistant tree native to the Indian subcontinent.
- Common names include moringa, drumstick tree, horseradish tree etc.
- It is widely cultivated for its young seed pods and leaves, used as vegetables and for traditional herbal medicine. It is also used for water purification.
- It has various healthy compounds such as various vitamins, important elements such as Iron, Magnesium etc. and is extremely low on fats and contains no cholesterol.
Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority
- Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA) was established by the Government of India under the Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority Act, 1985.
- It functions under the Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
- The Authority has its headquarters in New Delhi.
- APEDA is mandated with the responsibility of export promotion and development of the scheduled products like fruits, vegetables and their products, meat and meat products, etc.
- APEDA has been entrusted with the responsibility to monitor import of sugar.