Mission Raksha Gyan Shakti
- 28 Nov 2018
- 2 min read
The Department of Defence Production has instituted a framework titled ‘Mission Raksha GyanShakti’ which aims to provide a boost to the Intellectual Property Rights culture in indigenous defense industry.
- The Directorate General of Quality Assurance (DGQA) has been entrusted with the responsibility of coordinating and implementing the programme.
- Under the mission, the target for the year 2017-18 is to train 10,000 personnel of Defence Public Sector Undertakings (DPSU) and Ordnance factory Board (OFB) on IPR and facilitate filing of at least 1,000 new IPR applications.
- The first level of IPs will be filed with the Controller of Indian Patents which would then take them up at the global level.
- India has accumulated several technologies gained through Transfer of technology (ToT) agreements but for any design adjustments in the platforms, the original manufacturer has to be consulted.
- It aims to achieve the goal of self-reliance in defense sector to generate Intellectual Property in India and marks a departure from the culture of seeking Transfer of Technology (ToT) from foreign sources.
- Design or IP accounts for over 50% of the cost. In some cases it is 70-80%. Indigenisation can result in cost savings of about 50-70%.