Kuvempu Award 2020
- 02 Jul 2021
- 3 min read
Why in News
Recently, Odia poet Dr. Rajendra Kishore Panda has been selected for the Kuvempu Rashtriya Puraskar (award) 2020.
- Dr. Panda, born in 1944, is a poet and novelist from Odisha. He has published 16 poetry collections and a novel.
- He was presented the Gangadhar National Award in 2010, and the Sahitya Akademi Award in 1985.
- It is a national award instituted in memory of the late poet laureate Kuvempu.
- The award is given annually to a writer who has contributed in any of the languages recognised by the Constitution of India.
- The award carries a cash award of Rs. 5 lakh, a silver medal and a citation.
- Kuppali Venkatappa Puttappa, popularly known by his pen name Kuvempu, was an Indian poet, playwright, novelist and critic.
- He is widely regarded as the greatest Kannada poet of the 20th century.
- He was the first Kannada writer to be decorated with the Jnanpith Award for his version of the Ramayana titled ‘Sri Ramayana Darshanam.’
- The Jnanpith award is the highest literary award in India and can only be conferred annually upon an Indian citizen.
- English along with other languages mentioned in Indian Constitution (8th Schedule) is considered for the Award.
- The prize carries a cash award of Rs. 11 lakhs, a citation, and a bronze replica of Vagdevi (Saraswati), the goddess of learning.
- It is sponsored by the cultural organization Bharatiya Jnanpith.
Sahitya Akademi Awards
- Sahitya Akademi award established in 1954, is a literary honour that is conferred annually by Sahitya Akademi, India’s National Academy of letters.
- Akademi gives 24 awards annually to literary works in the languages it has recognized and an equal number of awards to literary translations from and into the languages of India.
- Besides the 22 languages enumerated in the Constitution of India, the Sahitya Akademi has recognised English and Rajasthani as languages in which its programme may be implemented.
- The Sahitya Akademi award is the second-highest literary honour by the Government of India, after the Jnanpith award.
Gangadhar National Award
- Gangadhar National Award For Poetry is a literary award given in the field of literature for poetry by Sambalpur University. It is named after Gangadhar Meher.
- The award carries a cash prize of Rs 50,000, a shawl and citation.