- 24 Jan 2020
- 1 min read
Why in News
Recently, the High Court of Karnataka has directed the State government to stop all the developmental activities being undertaken at Karwar port under the Sagarmala project.
- Karwar is located in Uttar Kannada district at the Southern side of the Kali River.
- It is the only all-weather natural port out of 10 minor ports of Karnataka.
- It is sandwiched between the Arabian sea on one side and the Western Ghats on the other.
- It is known as Kashmir of Karnataka as it is blessed with a wide variety of flora and fauna.
- Sagarmala project was approved by the Union Cabinet in 2015 which aims at holistic port infrastructure development along the 7,516-km long coastline through modernisation, mechanisation and computerisation.
- Under this project, port-led development framework government hopes to increase its cargo traffic three-fold.
- It also includes the establishment of rail/road linkages with the port terminals, thus providing last-mile connectivity to ports; development of linkages with new regions enhanced multi-modal connectivity including rail, inland water, coastal and road services.