J&K Media Policy-2020
- 03 Jun 2020
- 3 min read
Why in News
Recently, the Jammu and Kashmir administration has approved a Media Policy-2020.
- The policy seeks to create a sustained narrative on the functioning of the government in the media and promote the highest standard of journalism in the Union Territory.
- Standard Operating Procedure: The media policy aims to put in place a Standard Operating Procedure for reaching out to the people in situations of crisis like health issues and natural disasters.
- It lays down a solid foundation to use all forms of media to build public trust, pay attention to grievances of people projected by the media and strengthen the relationship between the various stakeholders.
- Control misinformation: It seeks to prevent misinformation, fake news and develop a mechanism that will raise alarm against any attempt to use the media to vitiate public peace, sovereignty and integrity of the country.
- The policy comes in the backdrop of J&K Police filing FIRs against two journalists and summoning several others for their reporting and social media posts.
- Establishment of Media Academy: It includes establishment of a media academy/institute in reputable national institutes in Jammu and Kashmir such as IIMC, IIM that will promote the highest standard of journalism, and coordinate study and research in the field.
- It also includes the institution of media awards to be given each year to two outstanding media or communication professionals.
- Media and Administration: It lays down the guidelines for empanelment of audio-visual and electronic media such as FM, radio, satellite and cable TV channels so as to streamline their interface with the Department of Information & Public Relations (DIPR).
- Nodal Officer: The policy envisages that all government departments will nominate a nodal officer to liaise with DIPR.
- Social Media Cell: To ensure healthy interaction with the public online and on social media, the policy lays down setting up of a Social Media Cell in all the government departments.
- The Director of Information and Public Relations has been designated as chairperson of the Empanelment Committee and the administrative head of the Information Department will chair the Review Committee constituted under the policy.