Internet Trends Report: 2019
- 14 Jun 2019
- 2 min read
Mary Meeker’s (US, based global technology investment firms owner) annual report, on “Internet Trends 2019” has placed India just next to China in terms of the active Internet user base.
- Top three countries in terms of the Internet user base are China (21%), India (12%) and the USA (8%).
- India's internet growth has largely been driven by telecom operator Reliance Jio, which Meeker pointed out, had grown double in a year reaching 307 million subscribers.
- In terms of internet regulations, India is moderately regulated.
- More than 50% of the world’s population has access to the internet, and 53% of the world’s internet users are located in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Digital payments now account for 59% of everyday transactions across the world.
- 55% of internet users live in a country where political, social, or religious content is censored or blocked.
- Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter continue to be the biggest sources for news.
- Media consumption on mobile devices (33%) almost equal that of time spent on TV (34%).
- Removing offensive and violent content from platforms would be a continuous challenge and social media would lead to increased political polarisation and divisiveness.