- 14 Aug 2021
- 2 min read
Why in News
Recently, National Institute of Animal Biotechnology (NIAB), Hyderabad has launched a chip called IndiGau.
- It is India’s first Cattle Genomic Chip for the conservation of pure varieties of indigenous cattle breeds like Gir, Kankrej, Sahiwal, Ongole etc.
- NIAB is an Indian autonomous research establishment of the Department of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science and Technology.
- About IndiGau:
- IndiGau is purely indigenous and the largest cattle chip of the world.
- The Chip to achieve the goal of conservation of our own breeds with better characters and help towards doubling of farmers’ income by 2022.
- The manufacturing of this chip is in synergy with Rashtriya Gokul Mission and a great example of Atmanirbhar Bharat.
- Further, the chip exemplifies the application of scientific knowledge and innovations for “Ease of Living” for all sections of society.
- Importance of Indigenious Breeds:
- Indigenous bovines are robust and resilient and are particularly suited to the climate and environment of their respective breeding tracts and productivity of indigenous breeds is less likely to be impacted by the adversities of climate change.
- The milk of indigenous animals is high in fat and SNF content.
- SNF content are the substances in milk other than butterfat and water in the form of casein, lactose, vitamins, and minerals which contribute significantly to the nutritive value of milk.