India’s Eastern-most Village
- 19 Sep 2019
- 2 min read
Recently, The Indian Air Force has inaugurated resurfaced runway at India’s Easternmost Village-Vijaynagar in Arunachal Pradesh.
- Vijaynagar in Changlang district of Arunachal Pradesh is the eastern-most inhabited locality of the country.
- It is not connected by road. Thus, the main mode of transport to Vijaynagar has been helicopters.
- Vijaynagar is surrounded by Myanmar on three sides and the fourth side comprises stretches of Namdapha National Park.
- Nearby cities to Vijaynagar are Miao (157 km, 7 days walk), Hayuliang and Tezu in India. Putao (40 km) is the nearest city in Myanmar.
- In the 1960s, over 200 Gorkha families of retired Assam Rifles personnel were settled in the area by the Union government.
Namdapha National Park
- It lies at the international border between India and Myanmar within Changlang District in the state of Arunachal Pradesh.
- It is only parked in the World to have the four Feline species of big cat namely the Tiger (Panthera Tigris), Leopard (Panthera Pardus), Snow Leopard (Panthera Uncia) and Clouded Leopard (Neofelis Nebulosa).
- Hoolock Gibbons, the only ‘ape’ species found in India is found in this National Park.